Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My newest adventure....running!

That's right the asthmatic, wimpy girl took up running! I started running with Joe a few weeks ago. He needs to get ready for ANOC and I need to get past my 15 pound slump...so I took up running! I have lost 15 pounds but I am kinda at a stuck spot so I thought that this might push me forward and keep me motivated. But... I need some advice! I need some good running music. I have none and it's sometimes hard to find anything I want to run to. Also, I need suggestions on good running shoes? I have some Nike's but they are not doing to trick. I have scoliosis so the constant pounding is not doing me any favors. I need something that might help with my back pains.(If that is possible). Any suggestions are very welcomed!:0)
THANKS!! I hope all is well.:0)

2 comments:

The Monkey House said...

You have to have good shoes FIRST. Then get started. Go to a running store. There are a lot of them that will watch your gate (some have computer tests) and they'll look at how you stand and tell you what kind of shoe you need. They will try to sell you the most expensive one, but you can buy the "older model" for cheaper most of the time.
Important facts about running--your legs and your lungs do the work. Relax everything else (particularly your shoulders.) Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. In for 4 steps, out for 4--makes you slow your breathing.
Don't cross your body with your arms. Like a train, everything has to go in the same direction to keep momentum going forward. If you swing your arms across your body, you are sending energy (and momentum in the wrong direction.)
With each step, land on your heel, the roll up to and push off of your toe (or ball of your foot.)
When you step up on or down off of a curb, land on your heel. Landing on your toe isn't as stable and can cause you to twist your ankle.
Not sure if that is the kind of advice you were looking for, but those are the things I teach most clients in the first few running sessions.
One more thing--set goals. Example, have a route, and run as much of it as you can. The next day, run that far and try to add another 20 to 30 seconds before you start to walk again. Or, run for time instead of distance. My favorite thing to do is pick a route and try to finish it a little (like 10 to 20 seconds) faster each day. Also, find a 5K near you in about 2 months and sign up to run it. It is very motivating!
Songs: Lose Yourself (Eminem); Pieces of Me (Ashley Simpson); Single Ladies (Beyonce); Break My Stride (Blue Lagoon); Time For Me to Fly; Stand Alone; California Girls (Gretchen Wilson)
I will look at my playlist for running on my ipod and get back to you with more!
Hope this helps!!

Roxxi said...

OH MY GOSH YES!!! It is very helpful and I am SO glad you gave me some pointers!:0) THANK YOU THANK YOU!!