Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Vacation was (almost)perfect!!!:0)








So as you know we went to Summit Point, WV for 10 days. 2 of the days we rode a train into DC. I loved DC it was great! We saw a lot of cool stuff and had a blast! On day 2(March 19Th) we came out of the national archives to a bunch of war protesters out side the building. Talk about VERY uncomfortable...I got teary eyed 1) because I was very sad too see upside down flags and to read what they said 2) because they were everywhere and made me feel uncomfortable. The look on Joe's face said a lot to me....he was angry. We finally walked out in the middle of the street because there were cops everywhere blocking the street. About 10 minutes later it started DOWN POURING!!! About the time our bus headed into Arlington Cemetery. I just laughed because I thought in some small way it was God trying to send the protesters home! (Probably not, but I want to think it). It rained the rest of the day too. So...here we are at Arlington with NO umbrellas or jacket. We were soaked!!! Drenched and cold! We were there for like 3 hours or so. About 3/4 of the way being done a security guard says" hey you know they sell ponchos in the gift shop...right?" So we went and got them because we still wanted to walk to Iwo Jima. It did a little good. I was able to keep the camera dry and my arms!
We were going to the Smithsonian after that, but since we were wet and cold...we found a local brewery instead and drank beer to warm up!:0) Then we went shopping in union station and got on the train for home.

It was a LONG drive (19 hours) but totally worth it!
I will post more later....too sleepy!!!!

2 comments:

Jenn - The Army Wife Life said...

Glad you had a good time and got back safely!!

George said...

Haha when i went to DC the same happened to me... my (2 day...) vacation would have been perfect if i wouldn't have been soaked by a sudden shower :) i was going to go the the Native American Art Museum (or whatever it's called) but i had to cancel that and go change my clothes first... missed that but...